Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Day 16

Books!

I checked out three books on Saturday.  I read Saturday, Monday, Tuesday and today.  I probably would have finished the third book yesterday, had I realized that I was further than I thought in the story.

Brave New World

I think I already blogged about this. I didn't like it. I feel somewhat sad to say it like that, because I do not think my reception of the book is based on Huxley's lack of writing talent.  Rather, I think he acquired what he sought, and the emotion was one I did not enjoy.  The ending was even less enjoyable.
Four Perfect Pebbles
This is a biography about a family during the Holocaust.   This family had it's hopes of escape repeatedly dashed.  The daughter of the family had a superstition that if she could find four identical, perfect pebbles, she would be able to save her whole family.  It is a sad book, as may be expected.  It is simple in its delivery.  The message is not oppresive.  It is one that is told in a way that says, "this is what it was, and this is who we became afterwards."

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
I believe that at some point I must have started this story and did not finish it.  I do not know why.  I am unsure of the author's intentions with the story, but I think that it is an interesting view of what we nurture in ourselves. 

No comments: