Sunday, October 23, 2011

Day 13

What did you learn today?

I had the privilege of watching the first part of a three-segment series on the efforts to bring forth what has become the King James version of the Bible.  I found it to be not only informative, but uplifting.  Considering that I rarely truly appreciate history, I felt it was important to note that.

I am impressed that so many sacrificed so much so that I would be able to have a copy of the scriptures and be able to read and study them for myself.  So many faithful followers of Jesus Christ wrote their testimonies and experiences with the intent to share them.  I think of how many answers have come through a personal study of the scriptures, and how many moments have been improved by thoughts coming to my mind of verses that I had read.  I also thought of times when I do not give the scriptures their proper place in my life, and how in a way that is also rejecting the sacrifice of so many.  It is humbling to know that we live in a time when the scriptures are so easy to acquire, be it through hard copies, the internet, and downloadable applications for hand-held devices.  This, in comparison to a time when possessing a copy was tantamount to terrorism.  I do not have to wait until the next Sunday services to hear verses read in a language I cannot understand and of which I only obtain the comprehension that the sermon-giver wants me to obtain.  I am grateful for my own scriptures. When I have questions, I can turn to personal study and personal prayer.  My moral agency is not limited to someone else's interpretations, rather I am able to choose for myself because I can know for myself.  To these brave men, of whom I knew little but their names and that they had been monumental in the Reformation, I offer my thanks.

Fires of Faith is available online.  Watch it.  You just may feel your own faithful fire burn a little brighter thanks to the examples of these valiant men.

Fires of Faith trailer

(Sorry, because it's not in YouTube I couldn't figure out how to embed it so you can watch it here.)

No comments: