Questions to which you do not have an answer
Why is the sky blue?
Okay, I know this is something about water reflecting into the atmosphere, and the earth is a huge percentage of water, but I am still from the desert and part of me wonders why the sky is blue where there is no water. One of you intelligent people who get it, don't try to explain. I will nod and agree, and then I will still think, "but why is it blue over the Sahara or the Atacama?"
Do you talk at home/think/dream in English or Spanish?
Yes, yes I do. That isn't the answer, and yet, it's the answer. I answered "I don't know" once, and the other person followed up with, "oh, so the thoughts were just transmitted from one brain to the other without the need for verbal communication?" Well, of course not, silly. All I know in retrospect is that I understood it. Does it MATTER which of the two languages was used? So here is what I understand. With English speakers, typically English comes first. With Spanish speakers, that language usually comes first. But not always. In bilingual settings, I use whichever. There is no rule like, "if I am happy it's Spanish and if I'm sad it's English." No, really, it just is whatever that moment brings. I pray in both, and have caught myself changing languages mid-sentence. Perhaps it is laziness on my part, and I could improve on remaining in one language all the way through a single thought process. Kind of like how I need to stop using "usted" and "tu" and "vos" all in one sentence when at home. I just use the path of least resistence. It's similar to asking "do you use the word 'small' or 'little'?" or any other singular option out of a list of synonyms. Don't you use the one that best expresses what you mean to say in the moment?
What is your favorite _fill_in_the_blank_?
I have no idea. Less so if I must pick only one. It is just asking too much of me. I go into Taco Bell and know that there are only about three items on the entire menu that I am able to eat because I am a vegetarian. It still takes me longer than anyone else to figure out what I want to eat. So it is with favorites. What if I change my mind later? Then I'll already have said one thing, and will contradict myself! Or what if my "favorite" band releases a lousy song, and you hear it, and you think, "oh my goodness, how could she like this terrible song?" I can give an opinion on nearly any topic, but that doesn't mean I am capable of CHOOSING something. Nearly equally mortal enemy to my psyche is having to pick where to eat or what to do, particularly in open-ended questions. Give me a few choices you already like, and I will select from one of those and we will both be happy.
No comments:
Post a Comment