What characteristic of video games would you like your life to have?
At the risk of having two blog posts side-by-side that speak of videogaming and therefore make me look like an addict, I am going to answer this question anyway.
I have no desire for one-upping abilities, since I figure one life is good enough for me. Kind of like that scripture that says "sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." But.
Have you ever had in your life one of those moments where you just think, "doh! Can we get a second take on that?" You know you botched it, and you want a redo. I have had PLENTY of those moments. So, if my life were equipped with any of the attributes of a video game, it would be this. The ability to hit the reset button without saving.
Is that cheating? Yes. Do I care? No.
Here is the idea. If I could just hit the reset button when I mess up, then I could have a do-over and would be able to run through a scenario without botching it. Theortetically. If I mess up again, I could just keep hitting the reset button until I get it right. And it isn't that I wouldn't be learning my lesson, because of course I would. I'd have all those attempts to get it right. Except that other people wouldn't remember that I messed it up in the first place. I wouldn't use it for things like tests and competitions, since that WOULD be cheating and unethical. But I think of the times that I've really hurt somebody's feelings, and to repair that so they aren't hurt AND learning my lesson at the same time. Who can't see the value in that?
No comments:
Post a Comment